Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A very blessed meeting

So this morning was the meeting with Lic. Karl Armstrong and Chris Drewe of West End Baptist. Steve, Katherine, Liz and I sat down to talk with them over what our definitive plans for partnering with them for the summer would look like, and the prognosis so far is very good. Right now, the plan goes as follows. We've decided upon 3 evenings where members of our team will teach interested congregants how to share the gospel effectively with coworkers, friends, and community members, and then the following weekend, the church will host a community barbeque where the people we trained can put their new skills into practice. We're also taking interested people out sharing with us, to get them acquainted with random evangelism and approaching members of the community. There is also a vacation bible school that they're interested in having us partner with, which I'm definitely interested in helping out with. What got me really excited, and I'm sure will excite other members of the team too, is the urban ministry that WEB is running currently, where people can come in off the street and grab grocery vouchers, sandwiches and other meals. Ideally, we'd help them take this further, and get more people involved from the community as well.

What was also cool was the way God totally paired us up according to need. WEB is currently looking for someone to lead summer worship, and wouldn't you know it, Liz has been appointed one of our Weekly/Worship leaders for the remainder of project, and would be thrilled to work with the church. As well, several of us students are planning to stay the entire month of August after the project ends (that includes myself) and will be needing a place to stay. Karl himself seems to have a house available for exactly that period of time... and there are many people that would likely offer their homes to us, by the sounds of it. It's really amazing to watch all of the pieces fall into place on this, and the more I see, the more I really would like to stay and watch this totally blossom for God. As I read through Corinthians, I empathize with Paul, who couldn't be with the church in Corinth but instead had to watch her growth from a distance after spending a fair bit of time there. It'll be hard to leave at the end of the summer (and hopefully things will go better than they did at Corinth!), and I'm praying sincerely that God'll direct me to where I'm meant to stay. If someone told me I could choose to go back to Toronto or stay in Halifax, no charge either way, I would choose Halifax without a second thought. I already feel connected to this place and the people here.

God's calling me to new levels of faithfulness every day, I'm just praying I can keep up...

1 comment:

Terra said...

Thanks for the updates Erin. Sounds like things are going well. Say hi to all my peeps for me!